Saturday, June 4, 2011

June UFO Project

Judy L over at The Patchwork Times pulled #8 for the UFO Project.  I am really enjoying this challenge.  I find the finishing of projects cathartic.  I find myself going through many different states.  I feel joy as I pull out the much anticipated project, or apprehension at pulling out a more challenging project.  I once heard that you should finish a project while it is still exciting.  I believe that this is why many projects end up getting set aside.  The new project has excitement that the old and familiar does not.  I think working through some of the problems on the project is helping me work through some of “lifes” problems.
Here is # 8.  It is a 2 sided table runner.  I have it all basted in place.  I did a crappy job.  I will have to redo it. 
DSC00385                DSC00387
I made it over Christmas with my mother.  I needed some time in the sew room with all the company present. A friend from church had made several tops in this style and these runners looked so simple but turned out so nice once the small meandering I did was done.  I am looking forward to finishing this one.  The batik side with the stripe matches this quilt that is slated for the couch in the living room.  IMG_4255_1_1The table runner will go on the cedar chest under the TV.  The chest was a gift from my brother (he made it) for Christmas in 1998.  I will be able to just flip it for holiday decorating.

 The table runner goes with this quilt.  It is #2 on my UFO list.  I did some work on it at Retreat in February.  It’s goal is to have the top done.  Depending on when that number is pulled, I may get further on it than just the top done.
I am looking forward to the fact that this month is a smaller project.  The girls are out of school.  The husband is working lots.  The garden and lake are calling my name, along with the car to do some traveling.
Back to finishing these UFO projects.  Why is it most projects only get finished because of a deadline?  These projects are those with no “home”.  These are projects are ones we really wanted to make.  You know, life will not be complete unless we have this quilt in our collection.  However, life gets in the way, our collection is not complete, the excitement is gone.  Sometimes working through those hard parts is what we need to do. 

I am still going to Weight Watchers.  I am about 7 lbs. from my maximum ideal weight.  I also would like to lose another 7 lbs. after that.  The meetings talk of support.  Where do you get it?  Who are your sabotager’s?  Are you changing yourself?  Doing the hard work?  Being okay, finishing the job without the excitement of a new project.  Taking something to completion?  It is a learning process.  I eat when no one is around.  I eat when I am lonely.  I eat to indulge when I think I need the indulgence. . . . I don't need the food for sustenance.  I am not a terribly large person.  I am close to the goal weight, but I find myself at a plateau.  I need to do the hard work to get over the hump to achieve my goal.

Just Another Quilter learning to live with myself.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the weight loss. I know how hard it is to accomplish that. I know my sabotagers....and they really do mean well. But they don't understand what they are doing. And, yes, I am changing myself anyway;) Slowly but surely. Keep up the great job for yourself;)
    As for the UFO work, I understand the lack of enthusiasm. Just keep plugging along;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weight loss is amazing! I know 7 pounds sounds like so little, but is such a big step. Keep at it!

    And I'm completely with you on those projects that have no deadline never getting done. Judy's challenge is so awesome for that! Your projects are beautiful - I look forward to seeing them DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the weight loss. Very tough to do! Count us as your support group. All UFO's take look a little different when you pick them up again. Sometimes that is all it takes - a little rest, a little aging or a little fretting - to get us to finish. And it feels so good when you do!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your post today. I am on my own this weekend (hubby is off on a golf weekend) and I am feeling a little blah. I have been indulging my sweet tooth -- again. Thanks for reminding me that I am in charge, and that my goals are achievable. I may even do a little sewing.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that you have a handle on what's happening which is half the battle. Congratulations on your achievement. Why do we let UFOs cause us so much grief? If we lose interest I see nothing wrong with putting the project away for another day. Fresh eyes often give a fresh perspective and renewed interest. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your weight loss and I love your runner. I have that stripe you have on the back and it works perfectly in my living room, love the gold in it.

    ReplyDelete