Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Recent Class

Last week the local library gave a fabric dyeing class.  We had a good time.  The library has many very artistic employees.  This means very artistic programs for patrons.  DSC02836 (1024x768)
We are given 3 dyes.  We mix the dyes according to directions.  These serial dilutions have the colors going from 100% of one dye to 100% of the next dye.  There is 30 different combinations.
DSC02835 (1024x768)
The dyes are added to the fabric and sit for 24 hours.  The complete directions were on the board.DSC02837 (1024x768)
The colorways available to choose were: Tutti Frutti, Sea & Sky, Fall, Earthy Tones just to name a few.  I went with the Sea & Sky.  Before anyone asks….brand of dye is unknown….it is a powder that is already made up into into a liquid filling a quart mason jars.
DSC02845 (1024x768)
Picked up some Retain yesterday.  It says to use it before you originally rinse out the dye.  These are soaking in vinegar trying to hold more of the dye.  Hopefully all will be rinsed, "Retained" and dried.   
I am hoping to make "Baby Waves" by Kaye Wood out of my Neutral swap fabric and these hand dyed fabrics if they ever stop running.
Linky Tuesday over at Freemotion on the River highlights what others are up to.
Just Another Quilter

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'd never have the nerve to try that! I can make a big enough mess in my house without adding dye and water! (But I must admit, I love to see the finished results of hand dyed fabric --- when done by someone else.) I'm sure yours will result in a beautiful quilt. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be checking back to see how the fabrics turned out! I'm sure they will be lovely. I did some tie-dyeing with the kids one summer and had so much fun with it that I considered doing more dyeing, but there just are not enough hours in the day! As far as the mess dyes can create, we had set everything up on a tarp on the lawn in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of hand dyed fabric. Of course you picked my favorite color. I can hardly wait to see how yourfabrics come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much messy fun! I love all the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty colors - I hope it all turns out the way you want! But those library people are living dangerously doing that in a carpeted room! I hope no one spilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like an interesting process! :) nancy

    ReplyDelete